Our History

Concordia Lutheran Church had its beginnings with the old Concordia College, which was founded in Conover in 1877. No doubt, worship services were held from the beginning in the assembly hall of the college. R.A. Yoder, who was a professor at Concordia College, was the founding pastor of Concordia Lutheran Church.

By 1892 the congregation had one hundred and six members.  In 1894 Concordia Congregation took over the operation and support of grades one through seven from the college. That was the beginning of Concordia Christian Day School. Grades eight through two years of college were continued at Concordia College.

Ten years after the founding of the college, on October 31, 1897, Pastor Dau lead the procession from the College Administration Building to the new church for its dedication.  At last the congregation had its own “house of worship” (see picture).  

Concordia Christian Day School was "postponed" in 1933 due to the effects of the depression, after having been in operation for 56 years. It reopened in 1946, and has offered a Christian education to the children of Concordia and the surrounding community ever since.

Unfortunately the college closed in 1935 when fire destroyed the building. It never reopened.

In 1958, under the leadership of Pastor Richard F. Lineberger, the new sanctuary was constructed on the very site where the old Concordia College Administrative Office had once stood.

The architecture of the church building has the unique distinction of being a modern-gothic structure. Architect, A. G. Odell, is famous also for designing the chapel at the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.

Concordia Christian Day School also continued to thrive and grow.  In 1996 the current school building was constructed.  An additional wing was added to the school in 2006 which houses the middle school classes, and also provides the space for Jr. and Sr. Youth Ministry of the church.

The worshiping community at Concordia has made full use of the church and school buildings.  In 2006 the congregation added a worship service. In addition to the 8:00 a.m. blended service and 10:30 a.m. traditional worship held in the main sanctuary, there is also a 10:45 a.m. contemporary praise service held in the Family Life Center.